On the Run
Donna Cormier 06/16/16
Good luck to everyone running in the Northeast Delta Dental Mount Washington Road Race today! Many of your neighbors are running up the rockpile. Some are hosting runners from away including the Soroka and Kirsch families who host runners from Italy each year. The weather for the race looks better than the past week when snowmen were being spotted on the summit.
The track and field rec teams from Conway, Madison and Lovell (Team Western Maine) had their first meet on Wednesday, June 15, at the Fryeburg Academy Track. Athletes from the three teams, volunteer officials from parents to high school students, and the volunteer coaches should all be commended for bringing the joy and fun of teamwork and sports to our youth. It was wonderful to see parents and children working together in such a positive environment. Even the younger children who couldn’t run track, were racing around and enjoying the long-awaited warm weather. I witnessed this same good vibe on Monday night at a MWV Cal Ripkin Baseball Playoff Game. The next track and field meet is on Wednesday, June 22, at 5 p.m. at Kennett High School. If you’re looking to feel some positive energy, come on out and watch.
Jim Soroka has done it again. JIm finished the Eagleman Half Iron 70.3 in Cambridge, Md., on June 12 with a win in his age group. A “half iron” is 70.3 miles total and Jim finished with a 31:58 in the 1.2 mile swim, 2:55:21 56 mile bike, and 2:18:07 13.1 mile run for a total time of 5:53:35. Reviews for the race mention the athletes loved the warm water temperatures but failed to mention what Soroka said was unbelievable heat, especially on the run. Congratulations, Jim.
The USATF-NE Mountain Circuit 2016 has seen four of the eight races in the series completed. Local athletes have been seen running these races including Leslie O’Dell 297.36 points and Andrea Leonard 69.61, Marc Ohlson 263.57, Scot Holt 226.66, Richard Miller 197.48. They call this group Mountain Goats for a good reason! Our Cranmore Hill Climb of July 10, is part of the circuit.
Sky the Running Dog has been doing very well with the Couch to 5K, but not her owner. I ran a 20-mile training run and felt some foot pain halfway through that has not gotten much better. Well, it did, with icing, ibuprofen and massaging. This week Sky and I ran/walked the summer series in Whitaker Woods, and I shouldn’t have run. Back to more icing, vitamin I, and massaging. Sky slept well after the run and didn’t seem to suffer any ill effects except that she wanted to play with the other dogs at the run. The summer series has seen over 70 people signed up with about 50 people running and walking this past week. Be there at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesdays at Whitaker Woods to run and walk with your new and old friends. It’s free, it’s fun, and it’s good for you!
We are used to seeing the Brown Family racing on the roads and track, but now you can see Alex and Darin on the Conway Scenic Railroad Murder Mystery Dinner Train. For more information visit conwayscenic.com.
“The advice I have for beginners is the same philosophy that I have for runners of all levels of experience and ability — consistency, a sane approach, moderation, and making your running an enjoyable,rather than dreaded, part of your life.” — Bill Rodgers
Upcoming Races and Weekly Runs: (Please note: All of these events listed are for runners and walkers!)
- Every Wednesday, Breakfast Run: 6:45 a.m. walk/run and 7 a.m. others, with 4-mile and 3-mile loops. Meet behind the Mount Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce. Followed by breakfast at Stairway Cafe.
- Sunday Group Runs: Check whitemountainmilers.com or White Mountain Milers on Facebook for details.
- Thursday, May 12 to Thursday, June 30: Salomon Race Series at Great Glen Trails, every Thursday. (greatglentrails.com/events/spring-trail-running-series/).
- Tuesday, June 7, 14, 21, 28: Summer Race Series Starts at Whitaker Woods at 5:30 p.m. (whitemountainmilers.com).
- Sunday, June 26: Wildcat Mountain Trail Race (wildcatmountaintrail race.com).
- Saturday July 2: Beech River Run 5K and 10K, Ossipee (tritekevents.com).
- Sunday July 3: Loon Mountain Race (whitemoutainmilers.com).
- Monday July 4: Four on the Fourth, Bridgton, Maine (fouronthefourth.com).
- Monday July 4: Ordination Rock 5K (tamworthlibrary.org).
- Sunday July 10: Cranmore Hill Climb (.whitemoutainmilers.com).
Donna Cormier is an avid runner and walker, cyclist, hiker, paddleboarder, skier, and massage therapist. For more information, ideas and contributions, race reviews and results, reach Donna at firstname.lastname@example.org See you on the run!