On The Run
This has been a taper week for those running in Monday’s 121st Boston Marathon. Local runners this year are Richard Fargo of Chatham, Kristina Folcik of Tamworth, Madison’s Jim Johnson, Linda Parrish of Albany and Kelly Rayen from Center Ossipee. Good luck to all the runners, especially our locals, and I’m looking forward to hearing how their marathon experience. Go to baa.org for viewing info, photos, and results.
Others doing the marathon distance in the ToughRuck in Concord, MA, on Saturday are Laura Holtby, Joe LaRue, Bob Otis, Brian Otis, and myself. Joe is in the heavyweight division carrying 35 lbs in his ruck or backpack while the rest of us are in the lightweight division carrying 15 lbs. All packs must weigh this amount before and after the 26.2 miles, so your water and snacks cannot count. Stories about this event will follow next week.
Another person I have been made aware of who is Rucking is the International Star, Lois Hatch. Now I ruck with my dog, who walks alongside me, on a leash, and it’s great exercise for us both. I heard, and I have no photos to prove it, that Lois is rucking with her cat, the cat is in the backpack, in a special backpack, and Lois is getting more exercise but her cat is loving it. I need to see this for myself, or at least a photo of said rucking. Lois, you never cease to amaze and amuse.
The First Annual Feelin’ Good 5K Chili Cook Off, sponsored by the White Mountain Milers and the Mount Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce, took place on Saturday, April 8. The 5k route circled around the downtown area and all entrants received discounts to local businesses and entrance to the Chili Cook Off, There were 73 Finishers for this first time race and ages from six to, well, the more mature. Winner overall and first male finisher was
Darin Brown 19:04, first female Terry Ballou 20:15, followed by Don Fredrikson 20:25 and Annabelle Wilson 20:36. First place walkers were Zeke Lemieux 37:55 and Gretchen Loeffler 38:32.
The Feelin’ Good 5K also saw the first winners of the 7-Eleven $20 Merchandise Card offered by The White Mountain MIlers and North Conway’s 7-Eleven. These Cards, presented by 7-Eleven’s Nicole Milewski, went to age group and place winners who ran the race in their White Mountain Milers Clothing; Darin Brown, Don Fredrikson, Annabelle Wilson and Gretchen Loeffler were very happy with their winnings! Go to whitemountainmilers.com for full race results.
The Ed Fenn School in Gorham is planning another 5K Race on Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 15. The Mother’s Day Fun(ny) 5K Race is urging humorous attire and the entry fee is a donation of non-perishable food items for the food pantry. Race time is 1:50 for a kids dash and 2:00 for the 5K. More information may be found at RunForYou on Facebook.
“Like the marathon, life can sometimes be difficult, challenging and present obstacles, however if you believe in your dreams and never ever give up, things will turn out for the best.” —Meb Keflezighi, U.S. Oympic marathoner
Upcoming Races and Weekly Runs: (Please note: All of these events listed are for runners and walkers!)
- Every Wednesday, Breakfast Run: 6:45 a.m. walk/run and 7 a.m., with 4-mile and 3-mile loops. Meet behind the Mount Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce. Followed by breakfast at Stairway Cafe.
- Sunday Group Runs: Check whitemountainmilers.com or White Mountain Milers on Facebook for details. (whitemountainmilers.com)
- Saturday April 29: 5K Trail Run at White Mountain Waldorf School Whitemountainwaldorf.org
- Tuesday April 25: Kennett High School Track Meet email@example.com to volunteer
- Saturday May 6: Running Rascals 5K whitemountainmilers.com
- Tuesday May 9: Kennett HIgh Track Meet firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thursday May 11: Solomon Spring Trail Run/Walk Series greatglentrails.com
- Saturday May 13: Dirty Girl Trail Race, runreg.com
- Sunday May 14: Mother’s Day Fun(ny) 5K & Kids Mustache Run Runforyou on Facebook (Ed Fenn School, Gorham)
- Saturday May 27: Division II Track and Field Meet will be held at KHS email@example.com
- Saturday Jun 10: 5K Color Run for Fun facebook.com/events/1292549160842161
Donna Cormier is an avid runner and walker, cyclist, hiker, paddleboarder, skier, and massage therapist with a new office at 50 Seavey Street, NoCo. For more running information, ideas and contributions, race reviews and results, reach Donna at firstname.lastname@example.org See you on the run!