On The Run
A long Holiday weekend brings out the races and the racers!
The 25th Annual Wachusett Mountain Race in MA was held on Saturday, May 27 and some of our valley runners were there. The race is part of the USATF-NE Mountain Circuit 2017 and you only had to run 3 miles to the top of the mountain and if you were first, you were crowned King of the Mountain. However, if you wanted to run a 10K, you had to turn right around and go back down the mountain.
Leslie O’Dell ran 25:10 and 45:01, Paul Bazanchuk 25:33 and 47:10, Andrea Leonard 30:47 and 55:23, Rich Miller 29:05 and 1:01:32, Frank Holmes 35:34 and 1:02:29, Rich Leonard 39:22 and 1:09:19. Full race results are at
Pinelands also took place over Memorial Weekend. The races, yes many different races, also known as the Pineland Trail Festival, is run in New Gloucester, Maine, and hosted by LL Bean. There is a 5K, 10K, 50K, 50 Miles, 25K, Kids Race, and even a 5K Canicross.
Dave McDermott ran the 50 MIle race in a time of 11:05:53 for 2nd place in his age group. The25K runners were Bob Benes 3:13:40, Ashley Benes 2:46:52, and Annabelle Wilson 2:12:58 for 2nd in her age group.
The Believe in Books Color Run 5K at Hundred Acre Woods saw 31 runners and walkers on Memorial Day. Judy Yeary was the first walker and Miler to cross the finish line. The 5K race was won by Dan Healey of Ipswich, 17:55, and Selena Scott of Cumberland, RI in 20:04. These two ran so fast they didn’t even get any color on their race shirts! In the 1/2K race, Cadence Kenney of North Conway ran 1:37 and Sejal Kenney in at 1:41. The 1K Race winners were Fionnuala Stevenson of Westford, MA 4:18, and Charlie Morris of Norfolk, MA 4:29. Full results may be found at coolrunning.com.
Because they wore their White Mountain Milers Clothing and placed in their perspective races, Judy Yeary, Andrea Leonard, and Annabelle Wilson each won $20 gift cards from the White Mountain Milers and North Conway’s 7-Eleven. Congratulations, ladies!
The Division II Track and Field Meet, held at KHS Saturday, was a huge success for all athletes and everyone involved in hosting the event. A highlight of the day was the presentation of the Peter Lovejoy Award to Coach Bernie Livingston by the NH Coaches Association. The award is given to a deserving NH Coach who has coached for at least 20 years. This is only the third year of the award.
According to Bernie and Eileen’s daughter, Terry Livingston Ballou, Bernie was totally surprised.
Terry states, “4 out of his 5 kids were there to present the award; Cathy, me, Sean, and Tim. My youngest sister Kelly lives in Nashua and was unable to make it. Bernie has been coaching track for 37 years now and he’s impacted thousands of kids. I’ve had many coaches, and he is still the best one I’ve ever had.” Congratulations to Bernie and, of course, Eileen.
Today, Saturday, June 3, is the Cranmore Mountain Race, USATF Mountain Running Championships. Race time is 7:30 AM for the one lap, 8:45 AM Men’s 10K, and 10:30 AM Women. On Sunday, June 4, the Hair of the Dog Hillclimb will start at 11:00 AM. Check out acidoticracing.com for more info.
If all these race results are getting you excited to sign up for a race, go to the websites below and to whitemountainmilers.com. Remember, register early for your race to save time and money.
“Different people have different reasons for racing, but one is simply the incentive to get out and run, increase mileage and feel good.
-Hal Higdon, author, and runner
Upcoming Races and Weekly Runs: (Please note: All of these events listed are for runners and walkers!)
- Every Wednesday, Breakfast Run: 6:45 a.m. walk/run and 7 a.m., with 4-mile and 3-mile loops. Meet behind the Mount Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce. Followed by breakfast at Stairway Cafe.
- Sunday Group Runs: Check whitemountainmilers.com or White Mountain Milers on Facebook for details. whitemountainmilers.com
- Thursday May 11-June 29: Solomon Spring Trail Run/Walk Series, every Thursday. Greatglentrails.com
- Saturday Jun 3: Cranmore Mountain Run acidoticracing.com
- Sunday Jun 4: Hair of the Dog Hillclimb, acidoticracing.com
- Sunday Jun 4: 5K walk/run to benefit Cynthia’s Challenge.Danforth Bay 5K danforthbay.com/events/rundanforth-bay-25k-race-series
- Tuesday Jun 6: 1st in the White Mountain Milers Trail Race Series – 5:30 whitemountainmilers.com
- Saturday Jun 10: 5K Color Run for Fun facebook.com/events/1292549160842161
- Sunday Jul 2: Loon Mountain Race, acidoticracing.com
- Saturday Jun 10: There’s a Black Fly in my Eye, 10 Mile & Relay, Great Glen Trails greatglentrails.com
- Sunday July 9: Cranmore Hill Climb, whitemountainmilers.com
Donna Cormier is an avid runner and walker, cyclist, hiker, paddleboarder, skier, and massage therapist with a new office at 50 Seavey Street, NoCo. For more running information, ideas and contributions, race reviews and results, reach Donna at firstname.lastname@example.org See you on the run!