On The Run
Now for something completely different: Believe in Books Foundation will be hosting a 5K run again this year, on Memorial Day, and in their words, “This year, we are adding color!”
This is the 8th Annual 5K Run and they are mixing it up by adding color along the race route. Each participant will receive a white t-shirt which will not remain white for very long. At the finish, each person will receive a color packet, there will be food and entertainment for the entire family by Dueling Chefs Smoke-n-Grille Food Truck and The Riley Parkhurst Project. Prizes will be awarded to our top finishers and all kids will receive a medal.
Registration begins at 9:30am with the kids run starting at 10:30. The adults will begin at 11 and our final color blast will happen when the last racer crosses the finish line. Get ready for a colorful and fun time! Go to believeinbooks.org/race-for-reading-a-color-5k.html. Sounds like fun!
The quest to break 2 hours in the Marathon, 26.2 miles, fell short on May 6 on the Formula One race track in Monza, Italy. Competing in Nike’s “Breaking2” marathon, Eliud Kipchoge, the 32-year-old Kenyan Olympic gold medalist in the marathon, came closest to the goal, finishing in 2:00:24. The time is more than two and a half minutes faster than the official world record of 2:02:57. It doesn’t count as the world record because the event didn’t follow competition rules as pacers entered and left the course during the run and fluids were handed out by people on mopeds. But imagine, 24 seconds, the time it took to type this. Oops, gone.
Congratulation to White Mountain Miler and Coach, Carol Viens, on her Running Rascals 5K Race held last Saturday in Effingham. In spite of the weather, Perfect running Saturday morning at the Effingham School 5K, cool and wet! The race benefited the Running Rascals program at the school and Carol’s Team wore their new team shirts very well.
It was a good turnout for the fast flat race! The White Mountain Milers’ walkers and runners did well with Gretchen Loeffler and Judy Yeary taking 1st and 2nd for the walkers. Linda Bitner and Frank Holmes both finished 1st in their age categories.
Gretchen and Judy won North Conway’s 7-Eleven gift/merchandise cards for racing in their White Mountain Miler Clothing. Congratulations to all of the racers!
Happy Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 14. Here are a few ideas for the Running Mother in your life.
- Run with Mom! This could be the best gift ever, and it’s free. Breakfast after is wonderful, too, either eat out or cook in. There’s a Mother’s Day Race in Gorham!
- Subscription to a running or fitness magazine or app.
- A Gift Certificate for running shoes, watches, clothes, yoga class, day at the gym and, of course, a spa facial or massage.
There’s an on-line support group aimed at Mom’s; Another Mother Runner. Their promise is “Rooting you on at every mile and and milestone”. They have groups, blogs, podcasts, and a team of Moms who know what it’s like to run and balance life. Go to anothermotherrunner.com. Oh, and if your children start running with you, Mom, it’s okay when they start leaving you in the dust! Be happy with the fact that you played a huge part in their health.
Happy Mother’s Day to all Moms!
“Going for a run isn’t Mommy being selfish…it’s Mommy being awesome!”–Fellow Flowers
Upcoming Races and Weekly Runs: (Please note: All of these events listed are for runners and walkers!)
- Every Wednesday, Breakfast Run: 6:45 a.m. walk/run and 7 a.m., with 4-mile and 3-mile loops. Meet behind the Mount Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce. Followed by breakfast at Stairway Cafe.
- Sunday Group Runs: Check whitemountainmilers.com or White Mountain Milers on Facebook for details. (whitemountainmilers.com)
- Thursday May 11: Solomon Spring Trail Run/Walk Series, every Thursday through June 29. greatglentrails.com
- Saturday May 13: Dirty Girl Trail Race, runreg.com
- Sunday May 14: Mother’s Day Fun(ny) 5K & Kids Mustache Run Runforyou on Facebook (Ed Fenn School, Gorham)
- Saturday May 27: Division II Track and Field Meet will be held at KHS firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday May 29: Race for Reading: A Color 5K, http://www.believeinbooks.org/
- Sunday Jun 4: 5K walk/run to benefit Cynthia’s Challenge.Danforth Bay 5K danforthbay.com/events/rundanforth-bay-25k-race-series
- Tuesday Jun 6: 1st in the White Mountain Milers Trail Race Series – 5:30 whitemountainmilers.com
- Saturday Jun 10: 5K Color Run for Fun facebook.com/events/1292549160842161
Donna Cormier is an avid runner and walker, cyclist, hiker, paddleboarder, skier, and massage therapist with a new office at 50 Seavey Street, NoCo. For more running information, ideas and contributions, race reviews and results, reach Donna at email@example.com See you on the run!