On The Run
Summer is coming and the White Mountain Milers are starting the Summer Series on Tuesday, June 6, at 5:30 p.m. at Whitaker Woods in North Conway. The sign-in time is 5 p.m. and runners and walkers need to sign up, receive their race number, which is theirs for the season, and get ready to tackle the 5K course. There are separate categories for runners and walkers, some people opt to only complete the 1 mile course, and all ages are welcome. This series runs all summer long, every Tuesday (except during Madison Old Home Days) runs rain or shine, and it’s free! You can run one week or any number, but you must run at least six to be eligible for end-of-the-season prizes. Hope to see you there. Go to White Mountain Milers Facebook Events for more information.
The White Mountain Waldorf School hosted a trail run on Saturday at the school in Albany, The Waldorf Forest 5K. White Mountain Miler, Christine Smith, ran the race, and I thank her for sending along this review:
“The Waldorf race was great. They were very organized, had great snacks and coffee and also T-shirts. The trail was 2.99 miles. We did three loops in the woods and some field running. It was very pretty and hot. They did a great job clearing the trails and had pink spray paint on dangerous roots and rocks. It totaled around 500 feet of elevation gain. They had prizes for the winning adult male and female runners, the winning male and female youth and the winning male and female walkers. The short of it is: fun hills, friendly people, and a great family activity (they had an obstacle course also open and a kids fun run) and a hot sunny day.”
White Mountain Miler Trash Queen Catherine Kyle sends a huge thank you and has bestowed the highest honor on 10 loyal subjects for transforming River and West Side Road from unclean to pristine. A royal banquet at Stairway Cafe was enjoyed afterwards. Noted contributors who helpe with trash pickup were:
- Knights In Shining Armour: Frank Holmes and Brian Otis.
- Knights In White Satin: Tina Craig, Jane Chauvin, Gretchen Loeffler, Jenny Burkett, Lois Hatch, Donna Cormier, Linda Dewey and Jean Brauel. In all, 15 bags of trash were gathered.
The Milers’ adopted roadway is from Route 16 and River Road to the Bartlett Town Line on Old West Side Road. There’s still time for you to help with spring cleaning our valley. Go to Valley Pride on Facebook to see where your town has meet-ups today followed by a celebration at Hampton Inns.
The Sleepy Hollow Trail Race was held April 30 in Huntington, Vt. A total of 266 trail racers finished the 6.4 mile race with Leslie O’Dell finishing as first woman, Andrea Leonard was seond in her age group, and she won a $20 gas card for running in her Miler clothing, and Frank Holmes was first in his age group. Other Milers who raced were Rich Leonard, Rich Miller, John Sharkey and Marques Bostic. Thank you to Frank Holmes for this info.
Danforth Bay has announced their schedule for their race series. Each race is a fundraiser for a nonprofit organization. Race Schedule:
- May 7: 5K walk/run to benefit The Laura Foundation.
- June 4: 5K walk/run to benefit Cynthia’s Challenge.
- July 9: 5K walk/run to benefit The Laura Foundation.
- Aug. 13: 5K walk/run to benefit Cynthia’s Challenge.
- Sept. 17: 5K walk/run to benefit the MDA.
For more information please call 603-539-2069 or visit danforthbay.com/events/rundanforth-bay-25k-race-series.
“I believe people can do far more than they think they can… You have to be idiot enough to try it.”
– Ed Whitlock, March 6, 1931 – March 13, 2017, a retired mining engineer who, at age 85, completed the 2016 Toronto Waterfront Marathon in 3 hours 56 minutes 33 seconds to become the oldest person to run 26.2 miles under four hours.
Upcoming Races and Weekly Runs: (Please note: All of these events listed are for runners and walkers!)
- Every Wednesday, Breakfast Run: 6:45 a.m. walk/run and 7 a.m., with 4-mile and 3-mile loops. Meet behind the Mount Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce. Followed by breakfast at Stairway Cafe.
- Sunday Group Runs: Check whitemountainmilers.com or White Mountain Milers on Facebook for details. (whitemountainmilers.com)
- Saturday May 6: Running Rascals 5K whitemountainmilers.com, Race Director Carol Viens 539-6032 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturday May 7: Danforth Bay 5K danforthbay.com/events/rundanforth-bay-25k-race-series
- Tuesday May 9: Kennett High Track Meet email@example.com
- Thursday May 11: Solomon Spring Trail Run/Walk Series greatglentrails.com
- Saturday May 13: Dirty Girl Trail Race, runreg.com
- Sunday May 14: Mother’s Day Fun(ny) 5K & Kids Mustache Run Runforyou on Facebook (Ed Fenn School, Gorham)
- Saturday May 27: Division II Track and Field Meet will be held at KHS firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tuesday Jun 6: 1st in the White Mountain Milers Trail Race Series – 5:30 whitemountainmilers.com
- Saturday Jun 10: 5K Color Run for Fun facebook.com/events/1292549160842161
Donna Cormier is an avid runner and walker, cyclist, hiker, paddleboarder, skier, and massage therapist with a new office at 50 Seavey Street, NoCo. For more running information, ideas and contributions, race reviews and results, reach Donna at email@example.com See you on the run!