On The Run
Have you signed up for the 31st Annual Mount Cranmore Hill Climb yet? The race is on Sunday, July 9, at 9 AM. Race route is up the access road with the finish at the top of Cranmore and open to walkers and runners of all abilities.
This year’s 3.1-mile climb celebrates the life of the late Jim Soroka. Jim was an inspiration to our community and anyone who ran, biked, or swam, benefited from knowing him. He encouraged athletes of all abilities as a friend, mentor, coach, and volunteer. All proceeds from the climb will be donated to the Gretchen B. Hatch Scholarship Fund. This fund awarded $9,000 in scholarship Monday to six Kennett High School Seniors just this month, and has awarded over $50,000 in the past 10 years.
Registration and check-in opens at 7:00 AM at the Cranmore Arlberg Lodge. Awards will be given to age group winners for both walkers and runners. The first 100 entrants receive commemorative pint glass.Post-race festivities include a breakfast of homemade granola with fresh strawberries, and an award ceremony featuring presentation of the first annual Jim Soroka Spirit award. Information and online registration may be found at whitemountainmilers.com. Come out and run in Jim’s Memory, Straw Hats are optional.
There’s still time to join or start your own team for the Bucks for Bernie’s Kids 24-Hour Relay. Each member of your team of ten will tackle one mile at a time for 24 hours to raise money for Kennett High and Middle School Team uniforms and equipment. Good food, great friends, typical New England weather, prizes, and lots of laughs are all on tap for the event. Contact Steve Dowling at email@example.com or on-line at whitemountainmilers.com to join the fun.
The Julbo White Mountain Milers Summer Race Series Week 4 saw over 80 finishers with over 160 numbers taken so far in the summer series. There is no series run on this Tuesday, July 4, but check out the local Fourth of July races listed below. Runners, walkers, and Kevin Callahan, I hope to see you at Whitaker Woods at 5:30 next Tuesday evening, July 11, for the return of the weekly series.
The Wildcat Mountain Trail Races took place on Sunday, June 25th. The 5K overall winner was Brian Beakey in a time of 31:01, and first woman was Terry Ballou of Madison who finished in 33:15. The 5 mile event saw Jeffrey Beal take first in a time of 43:18, and first local finishers were Gabe Flanders in 49:51 for 4th place, and Dawn Heinrich in 56:22. Kim Proulx 1:04:18, Martha Leich 1:13:24and Chris Ballou 1:23:54.There were 42 finishers in the 5K event and 68 in the 5 mile. Full results may be found at coolrunning.com
The Exeter Trail Race, Exeter NH ran on Saturday, June 24th and many local runners took the ride down to Exeter for the race. First local in the 10 mile race was Leslie O’Dell in 1:17:48, Paul Bazanchuk, 1:29:18, Ewa Johnson 1:47:16, and Sue Nickerson 2:05:23. Victoria Weigold finished in 39:00 in the 4.6 mile race for 2nd place female. Great job to these fast trail runners. All results may be found at coolrunning.com
There’s a new race on the calendar, the Katy M. Murphy Foundation is hosting a 1st Annual Rock Star 5K Road Race and Fun Run.“Katy’s foundation is not about a sad story of a young child that died. It’s about honoring her memory by helping other families that are on similar journeys.” In reading the foundation website, you see that Katy lived a very full but short life and her family would like to support others through hospital toy drives and support of hospital stays.
The race takes place on Sunday August 20 in Jackson at 9 AM. Participants are urged to dress as their favorite rock star and the first 100 registrants get a free race t-shirt. You can register online at katymurphy.org.
“Jogging is very beneficial. It’s good for your legs and your feet. It’s also very good for the ground. It makes it feel needed.” — Charles Schulz
Upcoming Races and Weekly Runs: (Please note: All of these events listed are for runners and walkers!)
- Every Wednesday, Breakfast Run: 6:45 a.m. walk/run and 7 a.m., with 4-mile and 3-mile loops. Meet behind the Mount Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce. Followed by breakfast at Stairway Cafe.
- Sunday Group Runs: Check whitemountainmilers.com or White Mountain Milers on Facebook for details. whitemountainmilers.com
- Thursday May 11-June 29: Solomon Spring Trail Run/Walk Series, every Thursday. Greatglentrails.com
- Tuesday Jun 6 – Aug 1: White Mountain Milers Trail Race Series – 5:30@Whitaker Woods whitemountainmilers.com
- Saturday July 1:Beech River Run 5K & 10K, Center Ossipee tritekevents.com
- Sunday Jul 2: Loon Mountain Race, acidoticracing.com
- Tuesday Jul 4: Four on the Fourth, Bridgton fouronthefourth.com
- Tuesday Jul 4: Ordination Rock 5K, Tamworth, tamworthlibrary.org
- Sunday July 9: Cranmore Hill Climb, whitemountainmilers.com
- Saturday July 23: Tri for the Y, / tritekevents.com
- Friday and Saturday July 28-29: Bucks for Bernie 24 Hour Relay whitemountainmilers.com
- Saturday Aug 5: 4th Annual MIdnight Owl 15K Prediction Run, North Conway, racemenu.com
- Saturday Aug 5: Rev. Dr. George F. Dole Celebration 3 Mile Road Race, dole3miler.com
Donna Cormier is an avid runner and walker, cyclist, hiker, paddleboarder, skier, and massage therapist with a new office at 50 Seavey Street, NoCo. For more running information, ideas and contributions, race reviews and results, reach Donna at firstname.lastname@example.org See you on the run!