On The Run
The Bucks for Bernie’s Kids 24-Hour Relay is in full swing if you are reading this column before 6 P.M. Saturday, July 29. The relay race is a fund raiser for Kennett High and Middle School Cross Country and Track Team Uniforms and takes place at the Livingston Oval at Kennett High School.. If the temps are high, we would love to see you and some kind of ice cold something. If it’s raining, you could just drive by the parking lot and honk your horn to keep us going. No matter what, we would love to see you support us at the track anytime during the 24 hours. We really appreciate snacks, drinks, and smiling faces! Donations are always welcome for the uniform fund, too. I’m sure there will be some photos posted to the White Mountain Milers Facebook Page throughout the event. The relay happens rain or shine, hopefully, this year, there’s more shine and if it does rain, there’s no thunder and lightening. ! A special thank you to Big Dave’s Bagels and Deli, and Starbucks North Conway for providing breakfast to all the relay runners and walkers on Saturday morning, and to Profile Subaru for sponsoring the high school team of runners who will be joining the relay for twelve of the twenty four hours.
In other High School Sports News, Coach Bernie Livingston reports that Kennett High School has been approved for hosting the Division II Championships next year! Put Saturday, May 26th, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. on your calendars. Coordinator Ellen Lauria Caputa promises that she “won’t start bothering people about it until next February.” Again, Saturday, May 26, 2018, volunteers needed.
The Julbo and Salomon White Mountain Milers Summer Race Series Week 7, the final week for scoring, saw over 80 runners and walkers on Tuesday. After a quick swim in the river, some headed over to Flatbread Pizza for the Jen’s Friends Fundraiser. Great post-race pizza and beverages for a great organization. Next week will be the series awards night, but there will still be an informal run for anyone interested every Tuesday at 5:30 PM. These walking and running Tuesday nights will continue throughout the summer and fall until the light fails us. No timing will be offered except by self. This is when Kevin Callahan sets astonishing PR’s.
The Millen Mile will be run on the Livingston Oval again this year at the Varsity Football Game halftime, on Friday, September 8. Coach Bernie Livingston is looking for runners to toe the line under the lights. Please contact Bernie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It’s a busy week coming up for racing and prediction runs. The I’ll Be Dipped Prediction Run on Thursday, August 3 in Madison, and on August 5 the Midnight Owl 15k Prediction Run in North Conway, the George Dole 3 Miler in Fryeburg and the Freedom Old Home Week in Freedom. Happy racing!
“The Secret to a long and healthy life is to be stress-free. Be grateful for everything you have, stay away from people who are negative stay smiling and keep running.”—Fauja Singh, The “Turbaned Tornado”, 106 year old runner and first marathon finisher at age 100 in a time of 8:11:06.
Upcoming Races and Weekly Runs: (Please note: All of these events listed are for runners and walkers!)
- Every Wednesday, Breakfast Run: 6:45 a.m. walk/run and 7 a.m., with 4-mile and 3-mile loops. Meet behind the Mount Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce. Always followed by breakfast.
- Sunday Group Runs: Check whitemountainmilers.com or White Mountain Milers on Facebook for details. whitemountainmilers.com
- Tuesday Jun 6 – Aug 1: White Mountain Milers Trail Race Series – 5:30@Whitaker Woods whitemountainmilers.com
- Friday and Saturday July 28-29: Bucks for Bernie 24 Hour Relay whitemountainmilers.com
- Thursday Aug 3: I’ll Be Dipped Prediction Run, Silver Lake whitemountainmilers.com
- Saturday Aug 5: 4th Annual MIdnight Owl 15K Prediction Run, North Conway, racemenu.com
- Saturday Aug 5: Rev. Dr. George F. Dole Celebration 3 Mile Road Race, dole3miler.com
- Saturday Aug 5: 13th Annual OHW 5K Road Race Freedom NH, freedomoldhomeweek.net
- Tuesday Aug 8(?): Madison Old Home Week 5K
- Sunday Aug 20: Great Glen Trails 7K Trail Run–Biathlon Benefit (Sean Doherty’s Olympic Biathlon Bid) whitemountainmilers.com
- Sunday Sep 9: Gaige McCue Memory 5K Race (gaigemccuememoryscholarship on Facebook)
- Sunday Sep 24: Kismet Cliff Run, North Conway lightboxreg.com
- Sunday Oct 29: White Mountain Milers Half Marathon wmmhalf.com
Donna Cormier is an avid runner and walker, cyclist, hiker, paddleboarder, skier, and massage therapist with a new office at 50 Seavey Street, NoCo. For more running information, ideas and contributions, race reviews and results, reach Donna at email@example.com See you on the run!