On The Run 03/14/18
Just two weeks ago I noticed the shoulders of our roads were getting wider and, in spite of winter frost heaves and potholes, running along the roads was getting easier. I was thinking that winter was coming to an early close for an early spring. Now, not so much. It’s not breaking my heart to keep skiing but it does make training for the Boston Marathon for some and training for the 3rd Annual Tough Ruck in Concord for me just a bit difficult. Alpine and Nordic skiing are great cross training but true running is necessary for marathon day. I’m not sure who is running Boston but I wish you luck and I hope to hear from you soon. I will be volunteering at the Post Massage Area at the Marathon again this year and look forward to greeting the athletes and fellow massage therapists.
Billed as “The Toughest 10K in North America”, the Ski, Shoe, & Fatbike to the clouds took place on Sunday, March 4, and The White Mountain Milers and local athletes represented very well. Tristan Williams took the Nordic Division in 49:47.2, Other skinny skiers were Steve Piotrow 1:00:54, Meredith Piotrow 1:05:04 2nd female finisher, and Sue Wemyss 1:05:34. There were 16 Nordic finishers. The Fat Bike Division saw 52 finishers including Darren Piotrow 56:21,and Kevin Tilton 58:10. The snowshoe division saw 68 finishers including Annabelle Wilson 1:16:12 (first female finisher), Kyla Brustin 1:23:14 (2nd female), Andrea Leonard 1:27:55(3rd female), Kristine Reardon 1:34:08, Frank Holmes 1:38:26, Thomas Zotti 1:40:52, Bob Benes 1:42:39, and Rich Leonard 1:47:39. There were 45 snowshoe finishers. Racers claimed it was a perfect day with some flat work before heading up the auto road. I heard a few folks wondering why they have signed up for the June Mount Washington Hill Climb! For full results, see racesplitter.com.
Coach Bernie is looking for volunteers for two home Kennett Track and Field Events on Tuesday 4/24/18 @ 4pm and Tuesday 5/8/17 @ 4pm. Kennett is also hosting the Division 2 State Track Championship once again, this year on Saturday 5/26/18. If you can help at any of these events, please contact Bernie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you can’t wait until June 12 for the start of the Julbo-Salomon Summer Series in Whitaker Woods, you can check out the Salomon Spring Trail Running/Walking Series at Great Glen Trails starting Thursday, May 10. Start anywhere between 3:30 PM and 7:00 PM and try the short, long or mini courses. An 8 week series where you must finish 6 of the 8 weeks to be eligible for prizes. Check out info at greatglentrails.com.
Kennett and Fryeburg High School Seniors and their parents are urged to obtain the new 2018 White Mountain Milers scholarship application which is available at your school or you may download the app at whitemountainmilers.com. The Milers Scholarship Program is such a huge part of the club and we look forward to hearing from our college bound students.
Remember, if you’re in need of White Mountain Miler Gear, contact Frank Holmes at 447-4365 or email him at email@example.com. Wear your gear in a race, place in the race, have your photo taken and with the finish information send it to Frank. Frank has worked very hard on this program and it’s working!
Upcoming Races and Weekly Runs: (Please note: All of these events listed are for runners and walkers!)
- Every Wednesday, Breakfast Run: 6:45 a.m. walk/run and 7 a.m., with 4-mile and 3-mile loops. Meet behind the Mount Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce. Always followed by breakfast.
- Sunday Group Runs: Check whitemountainmilers.com or White Mountain Milers on Facebook for details. whitemountainmilers.com
- Saturday Apr 7: 2nd Annual Feeling Good 5K and Chili Cook Off North Conway whitemountainmilers.com
- Saturday Apr 28: 2nd Annual Waldorf Forest 5k Family Fun Trail Run Albany runreg.com
- Sunday Apr 29: 10th Annual Running Rascals 5K Effingham Carol Viens 539-6032 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturday & Sunday May 5&6: White Lake Ultras rockhopperraces.com
- Thursday May 10: Salomon Spring Trail Running/Walking Series greatglentrails.com
- Saturday Jun 2: King Pine Tri & Duathlon tritekevents.com
- Saturday Jun 9: Black Fly in My Eye greatglentrails.com
- Saturday & Sunday Jun 9&10: Moe Z Moose Challenge Tamworth Tritekevents.com
- Saturday Jun 16: Mount Washington Road Race mountwashingtonautoroad.com
- Saturday Jun 16: Chocorua Mountain Race rockhopperraces.com
- Sunday Jul 1: Cranmore Hill Climb 5K whitemountainmilers.com
- Sunday Jul 14: Tunnels to Towers 5K North Conway tritekevents.com
Donna Cormier is a licensed massage therapist, avid runner and walker, cyclist, hiker, paddle boarder, skier, with a new office at 50 Seavey Street, NoCo. For more running information, ideas, contributions, race reviews and results, reach Donna at email@example.com See you on the run!