On The Run
If you’re reading this column on Saturday morning, there’s still time to get to North Conway and sign up to run/walk the 2nd Annual Feelin’ Good 5K Run. Not only do you get to run a 5K with awards, but you receive a discount for the 15th Annual Chili Cook Off. Runners may use their bibs for the Red Hot Chili Stroll and take part in discounts and special offers from participating businesses in the village. Teams or individuals and a special family entry rate are available for the race. Register at Schouler Park beginning at 8 AM. All proceeds from the race go to the White Mountain Milers Gretchen B. Hatch Scholarship Fund.
The final breakfast run of the 2017-2018 winter was on Easter Sunday, April Fool’s Day, April 1. The April Fool’s Joke is on me. There will be another breakfast run on Sunday,May 6, at the Dowling’s Home on Wallis Way. This past Sunday, everyone showed up in their Easter colors for the breakfast run/walk. It wasn’t planned but it was
wonderful to see everyone dressed so brightly. There were also three “Easter Bunnies” in attendance, usually referred to as rabbits in the the running world, these bunny eared ladies certainly set the pace. As always, the food was delicious and plentiful although maybe more carbs than usual in the form of muffins, and the laughter was infectious.
Coach Bernie is still looking for volunteers for two home Kennett Track and Field Events on Tuesday 4/24/18 @ 4pm and Tuesday 5/8/17 @ 4pm. Kennett is also hosting the Division 2 State Track Championship once again, this year on Saturday 5/26/18. If you can help at any of these events, please contact Bernie at email@example.com.
Another reminder for local high school students. Kennett and Fryeburg High School Seniors and their parents are urged to obtain the new 2018 White Mountain Milers scholarship application which is available at your school or you may download the app at whitemountainmilers.com. The deadline for applying for Fryeburg students is April 13 and Kennett’s deadline is April 19th. The Milers Scholarship Program is such a huge part of the club and we look forward to hearing from our college bound students.
Terry Ballou is looking for more teams or solo runners to join the Bucks for Bernie 24 Hour Relay. The relay happens Friday July 20 through Saturday, July 21. Soloist, teams of 10, runners, walkers, one mile legs, music, t-shirts, tenting, RVing, and lots of fun. This year there will be a cash prize of $1000 for the top team and $250 for the top soloist. By top, this means the most miles run in the 24 hour period. Sign up now and check out further info at whitemountainmilers.com or contact Terry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remember, if you’re in need of White Mountain Miler Gear, contact Frank Holmes at 447-4365 or email him at email@example.com. Wear your gear in a race, place in the race, have your photo taken and with the finish information send it to Frank. This program is working well as shown when some Milers have to go to Fl to race and win 7-Eleven Gas/merchandise cards. Dave Drach, formerly of Madison, took second place in his age group at Sebring International Raceways’, Run the Track 3.74 mile race.
Frank has worked very hard on this program and it’s working!
“The Secret to a long and healthy life is to be stress-free. Be grateful for everything you have, stay away from people who are negative stay smiling and keep running.”—Fauja Singh, the “Turbaned Tornado” and oldest marathon runner.
Upcoming Races and Weekly Runs: (Please note: All of these events listed are for runners and walkers! Sign up early for extra savings on many races.)
- Every Wednesday, Breakfast Run: 6:45 a.m. walk 7am run, with 4-mile and 3-mile loops. Meet behind the Mount Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce. Always followed by breakfast.
- Sunday Group Runs: Check whitemountainmilers.com or White Mountain Milers on Facebook for details. whitemountainmilers.com
- Saturday Apr 7: 2nd Annual Feeling Good 5K and Chili Cook Off North Conway whitemountainmilers.com
- Saturday Apr 28: 2nd Annual Waldorf Forest 5k Family Fun Trail Run Albany runreg.com
- Sunday Apr 29: 10th Annual Running Rascals 5K Effingham Carol Viens 539-6032 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sunday May 6: White Mountain Milers Breakfast Run. whitemountainmilers.com
- Saturday & Sunday May 5&6: White Lake Ultras rockhopperraces.com
- Thursday May 10: Salomon Spring Trail Running/Walking Series greatglentrails.com
- Saturday May 26: Race for Reading, A Color 5K, believeinbooks.org
- Saturday Jun 2: King Pine Tri & Duathlon tritekevents.com
- Saturday Jun 9: Black Fly in My Eye greatglentrails.com
- Saturday & Sunday Jun 9&10: Moe Z Moose Challenge Tamworth Tritekevents.com
- Saturday Jun 16: Mount Washington Road Race mountwashingtonautoroad.com
- Saturday Jun 16: Chocorua Mountain Race rockhopperraces.com
- Sunday Jul 1: Cranmore Hill Climb 5K whitemountainmilers.com
- Sunday Jul 14: Tunnels to Towers 5K North Conway tritekevents.com
Donna Cormier is a licensed massage therapist, avid runner and walker, cyclist, hiker, paddle boarder, skier, with a new office at 50 Seavey Street, NoCo. For more running information, ideas, contributions, race reviews and results, reach Donna at email@example.com See you on the run!