On The Run
If you are reading this column on Saturday morning before 10 AM, you still have time to get to Albany for the 2nd Annual Waldorf Forest 5k Family Fun Trail Run. This race benefits the White Mountain Waldorf School. On Sunday, April 29, you can run the 10th Annual Running Rascals 5K Race in Effingham. Go to whitemountainmilers.com for more info.
Congrats to Ryan Welts of Rockhopper Races and Tamworth who placed 4th overall in the 50K Hyner Challenge in 4:57:27. Rockhopper Races is busy with an upcoming White Lake Ultra on May 5, and Chocorua Mountain Race 25K on June 16. Go to rockhopperraces.com for more info.
A speedy recovery wish to Kevin Tilton who showed folks how an endo is supposed to be done at the Rasputitsa Gravel Road Race in East Burke, VT. Kevin broke his collarbone and a vertebra in his back. Kevin is on the mend and many of us are thinking he needs to get back into his running shoes!
The Mount Washington Valley and The White Mountain Milers were well represented at the Muddy Moose Trail Race in Wolfeboro last Sunday. The 4 Mile Mud Run was embraced by Ryley Tinkham of Albany 31:00, Masey Bernier of Albany 34.27, Vikki Tinkham of Albany 34:33, Frank Holmes of Eaton Center 34:35, Corey Reardon of Meredith 55:48, and WMM Kristine Reardon of Meredith 55:50.
The 13.1 mile part of the trail race welcomed runners not only to mud but a hip deep water crossing! Austen Bernier of Albany 1:52:28, Leslie O’Dell of Albany was 1st female finisher in 7th place overall 1:53:40, Madison’s Hilary McCloy 1:55:36, John Lamneck of Intervale 2:09:28, Ashley Benes of Center Harbor 2:38:35, Maya Bernier of Albany 2:40:28, Tom Zotti of Wolfeboro 2:50:31, and Bob Benes of Stow 2:56:08. So, what’s going on in Albany? The population is only 735 and they know how to run!
If you have ever wanted to run or walk a road race but weren’t sure where to start, then the “No Pain All Gain, an Injury Free 5K Workshop” is perfect for you!
Using Chi Running Techniques, the 9 week workshop will take place every Wednesday beginning on May 16th through July 11 at 5:30 PM. Graduation from the Workshop will be the Tunnel to Towers 5K taking place on Saturday, July 14 in North Conway. Registration includes the 9 week class plus a t-shirt, entry to the race, and fun and support the whole way. The workshop is open to all ages and abilities and starts at the Outpatient Building 2nd floor before moving out to pavement and trails. Contact Vince Vaccaro, firstname.lastname@example.org or 603-520-8268, or Heather Phillips, email@example.com, 603-356-5461 x2187.
There will be a free information session on Wednesday, May 2 @ 5:30 at the Outpatient PT Bldg at Memorial.
It’s time to start your hill work if you’re running in the Northeast Delta Dental Mount Washington Road Race. We have plenty of choices in hills in the valley and with the continued snow cover, I think uphill skiing will count as some of my training. New to the race this year, and a sign of the times, race officials have announced their drug policy and will institute drug testing. According to the race website, mountwashingtonroadrace.com,
“The Northeast Delta Dental Mount Washington Road Race has a strict policy against the use of prohibited substances listed on the World Anti-Doping Agency website (www.wada-ama.org). The Northeast Delta Dental Mount Washington Road Race (MWRR) reserves the right to conduct a post-competition urine analysis on any athlete that competes at the MWRR.
Don’t forget the White Mountain Milers Trash Pick-Up Day is planned for Wednesday, May 2nd. Trash Queen Catherine Kyle will award gloves, trash bags, and your very own section of her kingdom to clean. Meet at First Bridge starting at 6:45 AM and be prepared to join the Wednesday Breakfast Club for a breakfast fit for our Queen!
Volunteers are still needed for one home Kennett Track and Field Event on Tuesday 5/8 @ 4pm. Kennett is also hosting the Division 2 State Track Championship once again, this year on Saturday 5/26. If you can help at any of these events, please contact Bernie Livingston at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Clothing Czar Frank Holmes at 447-4365 or email him at email@example.com for all your White Mountain Miler Gear. Wear your gear in a race, place in the race, have your photo taken and with the finish information send it to Frank for a $20 7-Eleven Gas/Merchandise Card.
“With self discipline, all things are possible.” –Theodore Roosevelt
Upcoming Races and Weekly Runs: (Please note: All of these events listed are for runners and walkers! Sign up early for extra savings on many races.)
- Every Wednesday, Breakfast Run: 6:45 a.m. walk 7am run, with 4-mile and 3-mile loops. Meet behind the Mount Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce. Always followed by breakfast.
- Sunday Group Runs: Check whitemountainmilers.com or White Mountain Milers on Facebook for details. whitemountainmilers.com
- Saturday Apr 28: 2nd Annual Waldorf Forest 5k Family Fun Trail Run Albany runreg.com
- Sunday Apr 29: 10th Annual Running Rascals 5K Effingham Carol Viens 539-6032 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wednesday May 2: White Mountain Milers Road Trash Pick-up whitemountainmilers.com
- Sunday May 6: White Mountain Milers Breakfast Run. whitemountainmilers.com
- Saturday & Sunday May 5&6: White Lake Ultras rockhopperraces.com
- Thursday May 10: Salomon Spring Trail Running/Walking Series greatglentrails.com
- Saturday May 26: Race for Reading, A Color 5K, believeinbooks.org
- Saturday Jun 2: King Pine Tri & Duathlon tritekevents.com
- Saturday Jun 9: Black Fly in My Eye greatglentrails.com
- Saturday & Sunday Jun 9&10: Moe Z Moose Challenge Tamworth Tritekevents.com
- Tuesday Jun 12: Start of the WMM Summer Trail Race Series, 5:30, Whitaker Woods.
- Saturday Jun 16: Mount Washington Road Race mountwashingtonautoroad.com
- Saturday Jun 16: Chocorua Mountain Race rockhopperraces.com
- Sunday Jul 1: Cranmore Hill Climb 5K whitemountainmilers.com
- Sunday Jul 14: Tunnels to Towers 5K North Conway tritekevents.com
Donna Cormier is a licensed massage therapist, avid runner and walker, cyclist, hiker, paddle boarder, skier, with a new office at 50 Seavey Street, NoCo. For more running information, ideas, contributions, race reviews and results, reach Donna at email@example.com See you on the run!